https://www.crimefreefuture.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/courtroom.jpg 547 800 Faith Sills http://www.crimefreefuture.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/cff-logo.png Faith Sills2017-05-19 09:35:492023-03-08 22:30:39National Juvenile Defense Center Releases New Report on Children’s Right to Legal Counsel
National Juvenile Defense Center Releases New Report on Children’s Right to Legal Counsel
This week, the National Juvenile Defense Center released a new report on how states have protected, or failed to protect, the Sixth Amendment right to legal counsel for children accused of criminal offenses. The report’s key findings include:
- Only 11 states provide every child accused of an offense with a lawyer, regardless of financial status.
- No state guarantees lawyers for every child during interrogation, and only one state requires it under limited circumstances.
- Thirty-six states allow children to be charged fees for a “free” lawyer.
- Forty-three states allow children to waive their right to a lawyer without first consulting with a lawyer.
- Only 11 states provide for meaningful access to a lawyer after sentencing, while every state keeps children under its authority during this time.